[p2p-sip] Revised Draft Charter for P2PSIP

Philip Matthews philip_matthews at magma.ca
Sat Sep 23 12:36:08 EDT 2006

On 22-Sep-06, at 16:06 , Roy, Radhika R. wrote:

> Philip:
> It is OK to look into those solutions using ICE for p2p-SIP.
> A 2-year time period for development NAT-crossing standard for p2p-
> SIP will
> be OK.

I am hoping that it will not take us two years to agree on a standard.
[Of course, it has taken us almost a year and a half so far to get
the WG formed,
so perhaps I am being foolishly optimistic]

> PS:
> BTW: Even it is OK to cross NATs by p2p-SIP, will you also be
> looking for
> the support of QOS so that NATs are NOT forcing more intelligent
> entities
> around NATs not to mention NAT-crossing clients, servers, security
> patches,
> QOS brokering, and many others so that cannons are used to kill a
> mosquito?

We have not considered QOS issues in our work to date.
We are still considering basic connectivity issues.

> If not, why not? If yes, would you and others provide suggestions
> to NSIS WG
> as they are almost lost to do anything good that works well?
> NATs will have their natural death as firewalls are much more
> superior to do
> all those jobs of NATs without causing problems for SIP signaling
> and media
> and other applications, but p2p-SIP is NOT.

- Philip