[p2p-sip] Revised Draft Charter for P2PSIP

Roy, Radhika R. RADHIKA.R.ROY at saic.com
Fri Sep 22 10:38:46 EDT 2006

Let us see what comes out of this. I am stamping a time on it: September 22,
2006 - 10:38 AM EDT USA.
I have not seen even a single draft on NAT crossing in p2p-SIP other than
David gave some head start which is far away in solving the NAT crossing.
We will wait for the next 2 years to see the p2p-SIP NAT crossing solution.
ICE is still there even after 5 years.
BTW: NATs created their own problems for using them beyond what they have
been standardized by the IETF. Since NATs crossed their IETF standardized
boundary, they are also being solved by non-standard ways. We are getting
VoIP and other services through crossing of NATs all the time in
non-standardized ways. No one including Skype is coming for standards of NAT
crossing. Someday NATs will also have their natural death as IETF hoped for.
SIP standards have hinted even indirectly NAT-aware SIP proxy that can
modify SDP going beyond all standardized norms. Even it did not work.
Bottom line: NATs are hopeless in proving services like security and
configuration hiding. To get more address spaces, no one needs NATs anymore.
What is left for usage of NATs? So, the idea is to just cross it by
applications like SIP and p2p-SIP. To just cross the NATs and not to bother
about the security and other aspects, just keep them open as you want. If
this is the case, it is not a big deal as so many proprietary solutions are
used today. Is it is not good enough?
ICE: It wants a standardized way by IETF. So, it is concerned about
security, compatibility, interoperability, and billions of other features.
Here we go again: NATs can be crossed using some standard mechanisms someday
- may be 5 years from now. How about QOS aspects of NATs because they are
the bottleneck as they will be carrying out audio and video real-time media?
NSIS is working on it. It has no clue what kind of signaling messages will
be good to provide the indication that NATs will maintain QOS. Otherwise,
the whole network is OK to provide QOS, but NATs will not.