[p2p-sip] Revised Draft Charter for P2PSIP

Scott W Brim swb at employees.org
Thu Sep 21 13:30:32 EDT 2006

On 09/21/2006 13:23 PM, David A. Bryan allegedly wrote:
> It definitely seems clear we need a new name for the latter
> "architecture" document. The idea was that the "overview" deliverable
> (the first one) was the background/basic framework document, and the
> later architecture document (the last deliverable listed) was a "how
> to use the tools produced by this group" sort of thing.
> Applicability document is going down the right path name-wise. Any
> other suggestions?
> David

See below for RFC 2026 on applicability statements.  It can be called
a framework, an AS, anything -- even an architecture :-).  In the
charter you can just refer to it generically as an AS.

   Specifications subject to the Internet Standards Process fall into
   one of two categories:  Technical Specification (TS) and
   Applicability Statement (AS).

3.2  Applicability Statement (AS)

   An Applicability Statement specifies how, and under what
   circumstances, one or more TSs may be applied to support a
   particular Internet capability.  An AS may specify uses for TSs
   that are not Internet Standards, as discussed in Section 7.

   An AS identifies the relevant TSs and the specific way in which
   they are to be combined, and may also specify particular values or
   ranges of TS parameters or subfunctions of a TS protocol that must
   be implemented.  An AS also specifies the circumstances in which
   the use of a particular TS is required, recommended, or elective
   (see section

   An AS may describe particular methods of using a TS in a restricted
   "domain of applicability", such as Internet routers, terminal
   servers, Internet systems that interface to Ethernets, or datagram-
   based database servers.

   The broadest type of AS is a comprehensive conformance
   specification, commonly called a "requirements document", for a
   particular class of Internet systems, such as Internet routers or
   Internet hosts.

   An AS may not have a higher maturity level in the standards track
   than any standards-track TS on which the AS relies (see section
   4.1).  For example, a TS at Draft Standard level may be referenced
   by an AS at the Proposed Standard or Draft Standard level, but not
   by an AS at the Standard level.