[p2p-sip] Revised Draft Charter for P2PSIP

Enrico Marocco enrico.marocco at telecomitalia.it
Thu Sep 21 08:36:11 EDT 2006

Hi Dean,

thank you for a very good job!  I have just a few comments.

> 4. An architecture document. This document will address how the
> protocols
> defined above, along with existing IETF protocols, can be used to
> produce
> systems to locate a user, identify appropriate resources to facilitate
> communications (for example media relays), and establish communications
> between the users, without relying on centralized servers.

Some architectural assumptions -- mainly the client/peer distinction --
are at the very base of the work.  I understand (do I?) that here
"architecture" means something different or at least more complex, but
maybe it could be misinterpreted.  I think that if we don't change the
wording, we'll have to deal many and many times with the objection "Hey,
you are going to work on a protocol before deciding how to use it in
real life".

Just off the top of my head, instead of current #4, if I've actually
understood what it means, I'd prefer something like:
4'. A document defining some additional resources which can be
registered in overlays and used to facilitate communications (e.g. media
5'. A document addressing how communications can happen between users
registered in different overlays and/or canonical SIP networks.

> The following topics are excluded from the Working Group's scope:
> [..]
> 4. Multicast and dynamic DNS based approaches for locating
> users and resources.

This does not preclude some solutions for problems that are actually in
scope (e.g. bootstrap, interworking) from using multicast and dynamic
DNS, does it?

> References
>   [1] D. Bryan, E. Shim, B. B. Lowekamp, "Use Cases for Peer-to-Peer
> Session Initiation Protocol (P2PSIP)",
> draft-bryan-sipping-p2p-usecases-00.txt, November 29, 2005
> [2] D. Willis, D. Bryan, P. Matthews, E. Shim, "Concepts and
> Terminology for Peer to Peer SIP," draft-willis-p2psip-concepts-01.txt
> (work-in-progress), August 18, 2006

Just an editorial note: all the charters I've read have references to
drafts directly inline.  I don't know if it is better to have a
traditional "Reference" section, but, since the charter is likely to be
long-living and drafts will be certainly updated, maybe it is at least
worth stripping the version number from the name.

This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons above and may contain confidential information. If you have received the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by replying to webmaster at telecomitalia.it.

        Thank you